As an Adorn: Visitor Experience Volunteer you will be involved in engaging the public with the hidden stories behind personal adornment, from Bronze Age beginnings to modern makers. Working alongside our Visitor Service staff, as part of a team of volunteers, you’ll be helping us deliver our exciting exhibition. These activities will range from engaging the public with its displays to recording visitor feedback. The role is flexible and offers opportunities to volunteer in the morning or afternoon on any day of the week.
This opportunity is based at Colchester Castle and will run from the start of October until the end of December 2019. We're looking for volunteers to come in a minimum of once a week, with shifts from 10am - 1.1.15pm and 1.15 - 4.30pm (11am - 1.145pm and 1.45 - 4.30pm on Sundays)
Duties could include:
- Engaging visitors with our temporary exhibition Adorn: Jewellery, the Human Story
- Sharing our handling collections and conducting short, spotlight object talks
- Invigilating the exhibition space and recording visitor numbers
- Engaging family audiences with our exhibition resources and gallery activities
- Recording general comments as part of the exhibition
- Answering visitor questions.
We will reimburse travel expenses for this role.
Why get involved?
Full and appropriate training to deliver this role will be provided and supported by Visitor Services and Curatorial staff. This will include: how to engage and speak with our different audiences, how to undertake visitor evaluation, object handling training and object presentation training. Volunteers will be able to develop a range of communication and social skills relevant to a customer service role, as well as basic curatorial approaches to object interpretation within a museum context.
Volunteering with us offers a great opportunity to anyone with a keen interest in the exhibitions, museums, history or jewellery, or looking for valuable experience for the future.
How to get involved?
You may be invited for an informal presentation in early September to find out more about the opportunity and, if successful, asked to attend an induction later in the month.
- Customer service
- Working independently
- Community engagement
- Visitor Services/ Front of house
- Working with people of all ages
- Helping people
- Opportunities in Colchester
- Volunteering at weekends
- Volunteering on weekdays