Colchester Museums Volunteers help us offer members of the public the best possible experience. They support our Visitor Services staff in a range of ways, from answering queries to running extra activities. With the October half term and the Christmas holidays coming up, we're looking for more volunteers to join the team and take part in our festive programme.
Colchester Castle is open 10am - 5pm Monday - Saturday and 11am - 5pm on Sundays.
Duties could include:
- Offering a warm welcome to Castle visitors.
- Providing directions and answering visitor queries.
- Supporting visitors to use our interactive tablets.
- Opening up the 3D Castle model and talking about what’s inside.
- Supervising our object handling trolley and helping people to explore the collections.
- Face painting woad designs.
- Encouraging people to visit the shop and book for future events across Colchester Museums.
At various times in the year, such as school holidays, we run family events from live animal encounters to arts and crafts activities. These take place across all 3 of our museums in Colchester (the Castle, Hollytrees Museum and the Natural History Museum) and duties could include:
- Assisting with set-up and clear down.
- Helping staff and guests deliver the activity.
- Encouraging participants to provide feedback.
- Joining our team of elves and helping welcome families to Father Christmas' grotto
We are able to reimburse travel expenses for this role.
Why get involved?
Training on the different duties involved will be provided and volunteers will be able to develop customer service skills.
Volunteering with us offers a great opportunity to anyone with a keen interest in the arts or museums, or looking for valuable experience for the future.
How to get involved?
You may be invited for an informal interview on the 10th or 11th October and, if successful, asked to attend an induction.
- Design + illustration
- Event stewarding
- Working with children 0-5yrs
- Working with children 6 - 12yrs
- Working with young people
- Supporting a team
- Community engagement
- Arts + crafts
- Events + programming
- Learning + education
- Marketing + communications
- Visitor Services/ Front of house
- Working with museum collections
- Working with people of all ages
- Helping people
- Opportunities in Colchester
- Volunteering at weekends
- Volunteering on weekdays